Pinterest

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter's Blues

As we head into this winter season, nature's color palette shifts to beautiful blues.  Winter seems to slip into these colors as easily as we put on our most colorful denim jeans and leave us with the same comforting feelings as well.  Frosty turquoise and brilliant periwinkle shimmer in the glint of ice and snow; on land and in the sky. So in ode to these tranquil blues; here are a few photos to warm up any azure chills...

The shores of Lake Erie, northeast Ohio in January

I carefully made my way to the beach through a rutted snow covered path to take these few photos.  It was getting on in the afternoon, so the light wasn't very good but I couldn't resist taking a few pictures anyway.  The glinty ice covered boulders (used as a surf break) and the bracing north wind reminded me in seconds that it was a full on winter blast here on the northern shore. 


The wind was especially strong on this day and though it's hard to tell in the photos, the waves were big for our "little" great lake.  Bigger than I've seen them for sure, at least since Hurricane Sandy came through, and those waves were scarily amazing.  
Because of the way the lake and where we live are situated, we are able to receive lots of "lake effect snow" here.  It has to do with temperatures, warm for the lake and cold in the air, wind patterns coming across the lake and the lake NOT being frozen.  So, open water means lake effect snow can come at a moment's notice.  Because we live so close to the shore, we normally don't get dumped on as much as those a little south of us do...but it's still shoveling just the same!


So, snow season is upon us and I have to say, once the roads are clear, I don't really mind.  It's so much prettier to look at then the mossy dark green of the hibernating grass and brown muddy paths throughout the landscape.  Give me the brilliant blues of winter...perfect for resting and dreaming of springtimes to come...

What do you enjoy about winter?  

Be blessed! 

Linked to these amazing blog parties...Weekly Top Shot 
Hello Mondays  
Clever Chicks 
Backyard Farming Connection Hop
Winter-on-the-Homeacre-Hop  
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways 
Farmgirl Friday 

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I do enjoy getting one good snow each winter, but by the time it melts I am so over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree...it's hard to have months of it. We've only just had our first snow so i'm enjoying it for now. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these pictures--they are gorgeous! My kids have been working through a Geography unit study, and we just finished a book called Paddle to the Sea, where the little canoe travels through the Great Lakes on its way to the Atlantic Ocean. My kids could not visualize how massive the lakes are, and your post couldn't have come at a better time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I've been to the ocean and the lake feels very similar except no jelly fish/tides/salt water. We do have "lake" weed instead of seaweed and lots of gulls. It feels very ocean-like and I love being so close to the water. We never read that book to our kids when they were young, but I heard lots of great things about it. Glad the pictures helped...the light wasn't good or I would have taken a few more. :)

      Delete
  3. You and I have both found the "blues" in ice and snow! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that once the roads are clear, I'd much rather look at snow than brown bare ground. Lovely shots of the snowy lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was cold on the shore but it was a beautiful day to see it. :)

      Delete
  5. These look like it was kind of cold out! There is something peaceful and serene about snowy lands, icy pictures. its calming to see.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! If you have to live in a cold climate, it's nice to enjoy the scenery! :)

      Delete
  6. I had to look twice to make sure the water on the boulders was actually frozen and not just washing over. Quite interesting effects, but oh so cold!
    Winter here is a relief from our summer heat, although our houses aren't built for the cold, they feel more like cold barns sometimes. I love baking and hot soups and chowders in winter, along with walks on sunny days to enjoy the flowers and green grass (as it never snows here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thought the ice on the boulders were very nice too. I took more shots but my hands were getting too cold to take very many...maybe next time!
      I enjoy soups and stews a lot and a cold winter climate helps make these things even more tasty!
      Thanks for sharing... :)

      Delete
  7. Magnificent photography of nature's wintry beauty ~ Great post ^_^

    (A Creative Harbor) aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^

    ps ~ am your latest GFC follower ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...enjoyed your blog as well and am following you back! :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely... so wintry... love the icy blues. Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #64!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madge...I appreciate your photography blog hop!

      Delete
  9. Your photos are exquisite!
    I miss living by the lake. I grew up a short distance from Lake Michigan and love everything about the lake. Then we lived south of Buffalo...near Lake Erie...but the lake isn't very accessible in that area.
    Late afternoon sometimes gives me the best shots...and yours are terrific. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great how you grew up by a great lake. It's a very special place to live. Thanks for the feedback on the photos...I only have a point-and-shoot so I'm trying to learn! :)

      Delete
  10. Great photos! I would love to have you share this tomorrow on the Winter on the HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/winter-on-the-homeacre-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your lovely photos!

      Delete
  11. Your photos are beautiful! Love the ice and the waves and the beach.

    Snow is very pretty when it's fresh. I'm not a huge fan of cold weather though. Too much bundling up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. Yes, snow is the best when fresh and we usually get plenty of the fresh stuff around here! :)

      Delete
  12. I enjoy being off from work when it snows because I am a teacher :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply beautiful! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete